Why is nobody posting on the forum?

New to Bangsaphan or already resident? Doesn't matter, this is the place for introductions!
bsb

Re: Why is nobody posting on the forum?

Post by bsb » 22 Apr 2011 19:15

mrmaria,one thing for sure in 20 years it will be without me as I am sure my will come before then...on the serious side Bang Saphan will be like all the other pieces of paradise lost to an influx of farang both good and bad..if the past in many other places repeats itself here there will be both good and bad farang ..just hope more good than bad and not overrun with one nationality as that tends to totality ruin a place,regardless of the nationality. i just hope in my time it never gets as bad as hua-hin or some of the other ruined by farang locations.Regardless of what location in thailand you go to the one thing that amazes me whether the indivivual farang has been there a day or a lifetime,most still can not grasp 1 basic thing. This is thailand and no one gives a damn how it is done in your country.

buksida

Post by buksida » 22 Apr 2011 20:51

mrMARIA wrote:what i would like to know is, what peoples vision of the future is for BSF, say in 10 or 20 years......hello hello
There really is no such thing as utopia anymore, welcome to the forum by the way.

In 10 or 20 years time BS will be like Hua Hin and there is nothing you or I (or this website) can do about that!

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 23 Apr 2011 09:50

I am not so sure about Bangsaphan becoming another Hua Hin.I would like to think I have a 50% chance of being right. On the horizon looms the fragile world economy which is currently living on borrowed time.The US is printing more money to get out of jail,every country including mine, Australia ,is living beyond its means.The next crash could put the world into intensive care for a long time.One of the first sectors to suffer will be developers who think there are people queuing up to buy their latest bargain.Interesting to listen to a Phuket developer a week or so ago who had a tinge of desperation in his voice when eulogising about his latest project,capital gain etc. What you need is a philanthropist who could buy up the whole area and refuse any development, saving it for future generations to enjoy .Well you can dream !

buksida

Post by buksida » 23 Apr 2011 14:50

In Hua Hin 60-70% of the tourists are Thai from Bangkok, that ratio is greater in BS and I don't see it changing - this is not a poor country and the problems of the west (read: UK and US) often fade into insignificance here.

Maybe a new thread on this would be in order!

bsb

Post by bsb » 23 Apr 2011 20:25

althou at times it may seem that the wests problems fade into insignificance here, they really do not, as the case is now with hot money pouring into the thai SET and bond market , which has an adverse effect on interest and exchange rates,which in turn hurts the exporters.Regardless of what some people try to push off their is a global
ecocomy. Excellent point is a couple of months ago before the earthquake in japan, with all the flooding in the south of thailand the price of rubber skyrocketed world wide thru the tokoyo exchange however flood or no flood after the quake the price retreated as the need for rubber in the short term dropped substansily. you can bet the old saying america sneezes and the world catchs cold is still true today. And as Mike says as long as these governments keep spitting out these worthless pieces of fiat currency, sooner or later their are going to be irrepairable problems with g7 debt

bsb

Post by bsb » 24 Apr 2011 03:07

buksida, you say 60-70% of tourists in huah-hin are thais,I been thinking about this and am not sure how you arrive at the figure. Everytime I go to HH (and I try to make it as seldom as possible) I trip over mostly rude farang either their for a long holiday or short, yes I know alot of them live there but the hotels are full of them also and god knows the bars are. where or how do you arrive at this figure? most of the holiday thais and also alot of the thais that work in BKK and only live in HH on weekends are there 2 or 3 days max.I would not hardly call those that actuallt have homes there ,but only live there on weekends tourists

buksida

Post by buksida » 24 Apr 2011 08:44

bsb wrote:buksida, you say 60-70% of tourists in huah-hin are thais,I been thinking about this and am not sure how you arrive at the figure.
Having lived there for 14 years gives me a good idea. Ever been to HH at the weekend recently? Ever spoken to local vendors down Neabkehardt or Petchkasem roads about the ratios of Thai to farang customers they get? Over Chinese New year and Songkran I'd say its closer to 80%. Sure there are a lot of farangs from Nov to Feb but the rest of the year is a Thai dominated tourism market - there are plenty of new attractions built for and marketed specifically for Thais; Cicada Market, The Floating Market, Plernwan, rock and reggae concerts almost every month.

What would you say the ratio is in BS? The car park at iTalay was jammed with Benzes and Camrys at the weekend - not a farang in sight (aside from the couple sitting at Clive's bar!). There were at least 10 boats out at Koh Talu yesterday - 95% Thai.

The domestic tourism market is far greater than that from the west, these guys have got money and they're not afraid to spend it regardless of what the SET is doing.

bsb

Post by bsb » 24 Apr 2011 20:06

over 11 million tourists vsited thailand last year, granted over10% were from china and malayasia, but where you think the other 90% went? I agreee the thais with money(or credit ) are not afraid to spend (or flaunt ) it.But I think you will agree that there are a lot less thais with money than without.You see these bus full of thais that travel all night for a day at the beach in Ban Krut and spend the next night on the bus going home...can't add much per person to the local economy. I agree with most of what you say just trying to understand how you get there. However do not think for a minute it is not related to the SET ...remember 97-98, benzes,big houses and vacation homes were a baht a dozen

Mr Wu

Post by Mr Wu » 25 Apr 2011 07:51

Obviously there are not that many falangs searching the net for bangsapan, it isnt on the tourist map yet, hence the quiet forum - nice photos here though.

bsb

Post by bsb » 25 Apr 2011 07:55

thats a good thing!

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 19 Jul 2011 18:22

Is there nothing happening in BS ? new Tesco situation,dogs,new resorts, tourist numbers ,or lack of.Forums gone awfully quiet.

bsb

Post by bsb » 19 Jul 2011 19:17

Hello mike...slow season-nice season...how are things in CM....still celebrating the bought election by all the locals? what does your wife think of the clone?

buksida

Post by buksida » 20 Jul 2011 18:43

Very quiet here at the moment, can go several days at times without seeing another farang!

New Tesco should be opening this week, will post an update if I make it up there.

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 20 Jul 2011 19:26

bsb wrote:Hello mike...slow season-nice season...how are things in CM....still celebrating the bought election by all the locals? what does your wife think of the clone?
Hi BSB Well Chiang mai is well into the rainy season, traditional slow time but obviously not as quiet as BS.All the euphoria,up here, about PT winning soon evaporated when they did an about face on putting the basic wage up ,did we really expect anything else ?
However if another election was held tomorrow the result would be the same.Would be nice for BS, and the surrounding areas, if some clean industry was established.Don't hold your breath though the Government is more likely to encourage investment into their strongholds. Talk of resort investors coming to BS,for now, seems to have dissipated lets hope so ,no doubt all your collective ears are to the ground.and we will hear about it on this forum

Mr Wu

Post by Mr Wu » 26 Jul 2011 19:10

Since this province is politically a democrat stronghold (all 3 constituencies won) I cant see the new government doing much for BS or the area - the investment and mega projects will go to their vote base in the north and northeast.

As for the quiet forum - there are always 20-30 people browsing this forum everytime I check in - shame so few of the local expats post.