diving in chumphon

Beaches, accommodation, travel and activities in and around Chumphon.
alaj1

diving in chumphon

Post by alaj1 » 17 Jan 2007 03:52

We are coming for a holiday to Thailand (staying in Cha-am) and would like to do some diving in Chumphon.

We would be interested in receiving information on dive packages (dives/boat transfers + equipment rentals + poss. accomodation) in Chumphon. We are two adults, both with around 100 dives. We would be interested in diving package for 2-3 days, the dates we are looking at are between 27 / 28th - 30th January.

Are the Chumphon pinnacles reachable from the mainland?

Could you please also inform us what would be the best way to reach Chumphon from Cha-Am. By car? How long would such a car trip appr. take?

buksida

Post by buksida » 17 Jan 2007 12:46

Hi,
Have been diving in Chumphon an couple of times, both with the Cabana. Now I would not recommend them as their service is diabolical but they do seem to have the monopoly on the area and there arent many alternatives. You may want to contact Easy Divers who used to have a shop in Chumphon: www.kohtaoeasydivers.com

Rates with Cabana were around 1,800 for two dives including equipment. The two islands Koh Ngam Yai and Noi are very good, especially when the viz is clear ... more turtles than Koh Tao! More info can be found on Chumphon dive sites.

Chumphon pinnacles are seldom dived from the mainland (3-4 hours away), they are only 20 minutes from Koh Tao though.

Chumphon is approximately 3.5 to 4 hours drive from Cha-am, you need to go to Tung Wa Laen beach which is 15km north of the city.

Hope this helps.

migrant

Post by migrant » 27 Aug 2008 08:40

Any new info on diving the area? Buksida's comment on the monopoly had me wondering. Coming out in Oct. Thanks

buksida

Post by buksida » 28 Aug 2008 16:14

As far as I know Cabana still has the monopoly, took a drive along Tung Wa Laen beach a month ago and there were no dive shops there.

migrant

Post by migrant » 30 Aug 2008 08:03

Too bad. Thanks though!