Things to consider when buying land or a house in Bangsaphan

Discussion on buying, selling and renting houses and land in Bangsaphan. Please do not use this section to post properties for sale.
SPONSORS: Bangsaphan Property
buksida

Things to consider when buying land or a house in Bangsaphan

Post by buksida » 03 Apr 2012 08:12

Thought I'd start this one for those considering buying in Bangsaphan, aside from the actual property there are a number of things to consider about the area it is in. Bangsaphan is very spread out so you have a lot of options.

Things to check before buying:

Road access
Although the main road is being widened and resurfaced a lot of the smaller access roads are private and in poor state so you may have to pay yourself if you want it improved.

Litter
There is a major litter problem in Bangsaphan as the local tessaban (govt) do not collect it outside of the town so make sure you are not buying near a local dumping ground.

Dogs
They are absolutely everywhere, Bangsaphan is overrun with them. If your neighbour has 8 dogs you will have a problem.

Crime
Theft from houses is on the increase in BS and nothing is being done about it, make sure the area is relatively safe, speak to the neighbours and find out if places get broken into regularly.

Water/Power
If you buy up on the hill you will have problems with water supply, if you buy down by the beach you may have problems with a reliable power supply, make sure you check it out first.

Religion
Some areas are predominantly Muslim, if this will be a problem for you make sure you are aware.

Weather
Bangsaphan has flooded in the past so check for low lying ground. The closer to the beach you are the quicker corrosion will set in, you'll also have the noise, sand and wind - not everyday is an idyllic picture paradise!

Internet
This is very patchy in Bangsaphan and some areas have no access, make sure you find out if you need internet, you may have to pay extra to run a line in.

Noise
Thailand has an unhealthy obsession with noise and BS is no exception. If you are anywhere near a school, temple, resort that like all-night karaoke parties, or area where local weddings and events are held you will need ear plugs.

Please add more if you think of them ...

bsb

Re: Things to consider when buying land or a house in Bangsa

Post by bsb » 04 Apr 2012 06:54

you need to check out your choice of paradise at all hours, not just day time, I know of a real nice home for rent in BS, very nice location, quite as hell and peacefull till 11pm and then all hell breaks loose with pill heads and motor bike races

SeaShell

Post by SeaShell » 04 Apr 2012 09:51

For the women readers, I would also mention THE DUST!! Think about the road surface out side your compound and the amount of traffic on the said road. In the dry season, we have to keep the doors closed to cut down on my cleaning hours!

Check the power supply is enough to run all your equipment in the kitchen.

If installing a washing machine, check for possible outlets, to place our washing machine, we had to run a pipe along the outside of the back door. Not a pretty sight.

Do try to cover pipes (blue) as much as possible, the sun and the heat causes them to corrode very quickly.

If renting or buying near the beach, remember the salt aspect. ie.. vehicles, computers, TV's, metal window frames and doors, especially the locks. A little tip for you...a light spray of silicon on your locks and frames works wonders.

TraceyWoltz

Post by TraceyWoltz » 11 Oct 2012 13:46

All the things which are mentioned, is not easy to get at the same time. We need to compromise a bit if we want a good home. The locality, the basic amenities like water supply are to be kept on top requirements. Others can be adjusted accordingly.

beejoir

Post by beejoir » 13 Oct 2012 13:09

Access to your land is the most important thing, if the road to it is ''private'' and not been made ''public'' this can cause HUGE problems..... also if its a shared entrance, try to avoid both!

Brians

Post by Brians » 24 Apr 2013 11:13

Hi Buksida,
Very informative threat and post and thanks for sharing things to consider while buying land or a house in Bangsaphan. I am sure your post will help many before investing amount in property or land.

richie22

Post by richie22 » 02 May 2013 14:52

Don't forget the Buffaloes

richardarthor

Post by richardarthor » 25 Jan 2014 14:09

Great thread! Here you mentioned many good tips that are very useful for home buyers!!!!!!!! One should keep in mind all the things you have mentioned here before purchasing home in Bangsaphan.

Stewdawg

Post by Stewdawg » 01 Feb 2014 04:00

Very helpful, just what I was looking for!

Thank you.

heikevie

Post by heikevie » 19 Dec 2014 12:45

New regulations in the Landoffice of Bang Saphan

Purchase of land by a Thai person and a lease contract with the same person and a foreigner can not be made on the same day. It must be at least 1 month between of both. Today, I had this experience with boss from the Landoffice the first time.

buksida

Post by buksida » 20 Dec 2014 11:51

Thanks for the heads up - the BS land office tends to make up their own rules a lot of the time, and they change often! For example, there is no longer a requirement to put money into the Thai persons account when buying land with a Thai partner.

They also will not acknowledge land legally placed in trust in a child's name, they want the Thai mother to sign.

heikevie

Post by heikevie » 21 Jan 2015 18:30

The Boss of the Landoffice of Bangsaphan tell me today in his office he just talk to his boss in Prachuap Kiri Khan about my lease contract
And he tell me following word by word:
"The 30year lease contract, you cannot give it to your family or a third party! YOU UNDERSTAND?"
"The house you built on this land you lease is not your house! YOU UNDERSTAND?"
"You have no rights on this land! YOU UNDERSTAND?"
"If you die, the lease contract is finish! YOU UNDERSTAND?"
"If you die tomorrow, the lease contract is finish tomorrow! YOU UNDERSTAND?"
"Privat lease contact are not valid! YOU UNDERSTAND?"

I think it must be an idiot like me who want to "buy" or rent a land or a house in Bangsaphan as a foreigner also with thai wife.

I think not everyone who comes to Bangsaphan read in this forum, or does not understand English. Therefore, businesses will still going on with unknowing foreigners.
I think with a little bit tea money the boss from the land office.keeps his mouth and the customer ist happy and pay.

Mr Chin Chok

Post by Mr Chin Chok » 22 Jan 2015 04:52

I don't get it. Why did the landoffice chief take offense at your land lease? I know they don't like foreigners but is there some particular issue here?

heikevie

Post by heikevie » 22 Jan 2015 07:34

This is exactly the point that they do no like foreigners and make their own laws.The landoffice chief is new and maybe he take offense at every land lease of a foreigner.
But also because he knows that the money for the purchase of land is give by a foreigner and that is not allowed in his opinion.
This applies to the land office but also the local government.
I experience this now for 6 years with different things.

Things that are not a problem at other places in Thailand are rejected in Bangsaphan by the authorities. As an example, no building permit in the name of foreigners, no house property in the name of the foreigners, not a yellow house book in the name of foreigners, no electricity or water contract in the name of foreigners......

NIT

Post by NIT » 22 Jan 2015 10:56

I met the new head man at the BS Land Office last week, I thought he was extremly nice, saw him later in the week at Cusine resturant and he invited me to join him at his table. Spoke with me about a new development in Ban Krut as well as his jeep collection

my water has been in my name for over 8 years as well as the electricity, in Hua-Hin, Chaing Mai, as well as Bang Saphan.

I am new on this forum ,but went back and read alot of posts and it seems it is always the same people complaining about different problems they have in BS ?thailand....wonder why?