thoughts about a long term stay in suan luang

Bangsaphan general discussion and questions.
linnea

thoughts about a long term stay in suan luang

Post by linnea » 13 Sep 2013 19:36

Dear People of bang Saphan

I am a 36 year old women with a 2 year old boy travelling to Thailand on october the 26nd. We will stay until 13th of april.
We have our hearts set on Bang Saphan. We are looking for a rellaxed life whitout lots of traffic, bars or crowds.
The thing is that I have no driver licens and I get the feeling that Suan Luang might be difficulte to find transportation, such as taxis.
The plan is to find a nice place to stay for the whole winter preferably with kitchen for breakfast making. So We would need to get to some sort of grocery store once in a while. Also We need to go to immigration in hua hin or whatever is closest a couple of times, and ofcourse on a visarun.
Does anybody know if the hospital in Bang Saphan is good, in case of an emergency?
Do you think Suan luang is the place for us?
Is it a good place to live with small children?
Looking forward to hopefully come to Suan luang!
Regards Linnéa

buksida

Re: thoughts about a long term stay in suan luang

Post by buksida » 13 Sep 2013 21:36

Welcome to the forum Linnéa.

Yes, Bangsaphan is a little unlike the other popular tourist destinations in Thailand which remains part of its attraction, though Suan Luang can get a little busy during peak times (Jan/Feb).

Taxis can be a little problematic as there are none here so most people hire a scooter during their visit (link here: http://www.bangsaphanguide.com/bikerentals.php), unlike Hua Hin the police in BS do not hassle foreigners, I have never been asked for a license in many years of living here. And the roads are relatively quiet and easy to ride on.

Alternatively you can arrange with a local moto driver to come and pick you up to go shopping in town when you need to, some of the local expats are also friendly enough to give you a lift if you get to know them.

For visas you can go to Dansingkhon immigration in Prachuab, its only an hour away.

The Bangsaphan hospital is perfectly fine for basic things and accidents, complicated medical conditions will need to be treated in better hospitals in Bangkok.

The area in general is perfect for children, lots of nature, wide empty beaches, shallow warm seas, our two kids love it here.

Feel free to ask away if you have any more questions.

linnea

Post by linnea » 14 Sep 2013 01:04

Thank you so much for a quick and very useful answer. The area seems wounderful, almost a bit like nonexploited Island living... Are there thais and expats living in Suan Luang or is it mostly tourist accomodation and restaurants?
Do you get those lovley foodcarts where they grill food or make par thai from the "moped"?
Are there any small children about? Do you get many longstayers? Is it reasonble to assume that I will find a bungalow/house/place with kitchen/kitchenett for long term rental?
Whats the aproximate price for a normal thai dinner?
Well after this storm of questions Ide like to say that this guide you got is awsome, paints a good picture of what to expect.
Anyhow, transportation is still a problem for me, Im rubbish at driving and traffic in general, so I would not want to drive a scooter with my little boy, also I have a syndrome wich effects my joints, so I have shoulders and hips that easily dislocate, wich is no good when driving motos...partly the reason why we are going, my health.
I was considering ban krut at first since it seem a bit more convinient, bit I just like the Suan Luang more.
It is Starting to feel a bit cold here in Gothenburg, so Im happy that we are soon on our way.
See you

buksida

Post by buksida » 14 Sep 2013 07:33

Yes there are a few expats here and a lot of Thais of course, it is one of the few areas in Thailand where locals and foreigners mix quite well.

There are food carts in town (which is about 6km away) but not at the beach area. There are a number of local restaurants though: http://bangsaphanguide.com/bangsaphan-restaurants.htm Local food costs about 50 baht per dish, western food is more expensive.

There are a lot of kids that play on the beach, the area is popular with young Thai families at the weekends. Many westerners stay for several months to avoid the cold European winters, it does get quite busy here during the peak months (Dec - Feb), so you may need to book in advance to get a good rental - prices are climbing rapidly. Unfortunately there is nowhere online to search for rental houses as the owners wont pay commissions, you may have to spend a week in a hotel or bungalow first while you look around.

Getting the number of a local driver in town would be the way to go for you then.

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 14 Sep 2013 12:07

Give it a try. See how you like it. You'll answer most of your questions yourself just by living here for a few weeks. It's an easy place to make your way, and there are friendly people here to help you figure things out, and even look after your boy when you need to get business done or simply have some time off from the mother-treadmill. As suggested above by buksida, get the phone number of a mototaxi driver for convenient transportation to town when you need it.

And in the off chance you don't like Bang Saphan, you can easily move to (perhaps) more convenient (but more expensive) places, like Hua Hin, or Bang Krut.

There's a bungalow at Lola Bungalows with kitchen. Enquire with Sopha (the manager). Not sure if it's taken, but it's the low season. There are of course other places for mother and child to live on the beach.
"Don't take life too serious. It ain't no ways permanent."
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

linnea

Post by linnea » 14 Sep 2013 20:09

Thanks to both of you, we will book a room in a resort for a week, and have a look around. I cant imagine that we wont like this beach, bit I would prefer if it wass possible to find a cardriver from town. Hopefully Its doable, everthing else will sort it self Im sure.
By the way is the biting dog still around?

buksida

Post by buksida » 14 Sep 2013 21:05

I believe so, though we have had no reports of further attacks in the last few months.

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 15 Sep 2013 04:04

Car taxis are rather scarce in Bang Saphan, and believe it or not, you get used to the motorcycle taxis. The drivers are very experienced and safe. Some may have helmets for you to wear, while they drive you around, or you could buy your own. And your son can fit between you and the driver, if you are fearless enough; Thai families do it all the time. People with cars and trucks frequently drive back and forth to town for groceries, and could probably take you if you work something out in advance.

Prior to your arrival we will completely remove the teeth from the biting dog, and only allow him his dentures while eating. Soon he'll only be capable of "gumming" people. (er, forgive my humor, since the dog is a serious matter, but from what I understand he can be safely avoided by avoiding the guesthouse he hangs around, which is a bit off the beach. )

Dogs are a menace here though if you stroll too far in either direction along the beach, or even on the street. They become bullies when there are more than a few of them, and assertive action on your part will be required. I always carry a handful of stones if I plan a long walk. A stone thrown in their general direction never fails to back them off (in my experience). Even the gesture of pretending to pick up a rock and then holding the pretend rock in a threatening way will discourage them. I've never seen a rabid dog here, just these "bully dogs". I usually just throw the rock along the ground in the general direction of the dog, and that's enough.
"Don't take life too serious. It ain't no ways permanent."
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

bajm

Post by bajm » 15 Sep 2013 15:08

For visas you can go to Dansingkhon immigration in Prachuab, its only an hour away.
Is Dansingkhon already open for a visa run to renew a 90 day visa?
Last time I still had to go to Ranong.

linnea

Post by linnea » 15 Sep 2013 19:12

Ha ha, I will gracefully alow the dog to keep his theeth for now.... I had some experience with a pack of completly wild dogs, my last visit to Thailand 5 years ago. They lived on a garbage hill and came down to the road sometimes, and if we passed them on our scooter they would hunt us. Noone shall pass was their motto.
Exciting times.

buksida

Post by buksida » 16 Sep 2013 07:28

bajm wrote:
Is Dansingkhon already open for a visa run to renew a 90 day visa?
Last time I still had to go to Ranong.
You can do visa extensions, 90 days and re-entrys at DSK. If you need to leave the country it has to be done at Ranong.

bsb

Post by bsb » 16 Sep 2013 07:46

so now everyone has painted a lovely picture of beach life in Suan Luang, here are some facts ,very few of the moto taxi's here speak any form of understandable english.most of the store attendants in town speak less. A lady confined to a wheel chair was robbed by the same band of thugs that still lives in Suan luang.
Feral dogs are still a major problem. Is it a nice place? yes ....has it got problems ? as many as any where else in the world. honestly with your background and expectations, I think you will be disappointed as the things you seek are just not here....ban krut would suit you better

linnea

Post by linnea » 19 Sep 2013 20:02

OK. Thanks for the input. I will have to think long and hard about this one.

lucky4ever

Post by lucky4ever » 20 Sep 2013 10:42

Us long term folks who live in Suan luang think that we are lucky, as for Bang krut would not live there rent free, if you are going to live in Thailand it is not hard to learn a few words of Thai,

bsb

Post by bsb » 20 Sep 2013 19:10

been in thailand 12 years ,bang saphan 7 of that ...I am not sure if you qualify that as long term or not ..but i do know damn well everything I wrote is 100% true with no bullshit.Both Bang saphan and Bang krut have good and bad...beaches are nicer there because it is north of the port,less places to shop, but town is much close to the sea