Deadsville, Bangsaphan

Bangsaphan general discussion and questions.
Mr Wu

Deadsville, Bangsaphan

Post by Mr Wu » 15 Dec 2011 12:59

Looks like this high season will be a total washout this year, only a few days to Christmas and some places are empty! I have never seen it so quiet here in the high season, it looks like most tourists have cancelled due to the flooding in Bangkok.

Feel sorry for those that need to make their living off the tourist season.

Mike Parker

Re: Deadsville, Bangsaphan

Post by Mike Parker » 15 Dec 2011 18:04

That is indeed surprising, and disappointing, for local businesses.Up north here in Chiang Mai the high season is in full swing and if you talk to tourists they say flood ,what flood ? that was weeks ago. Coverage of the flood situation, overseas, is old news and is it any worse than coups,bird flu etc etc ?Hope it picks up sooner than later.

buksida

Post by buksida » 18 Dec 2011 09:56

Yes, it does seem unusually quiet for the time of year - Why Not was empty at 5pm yesterday, Montri is getting a good crowd in but they're mostly return longstayers - very few new faces about. Hope Jan and Feb are busier.

an_ann

Post by an_ann » 23 Dec 2011 02:56

Empty? I called in early November to book a room at Lola for 28th Dec... it was fully booked!

bsb

Post by bsb » 23 Dec 2011 04:13

probaly the thais coming down for new years

buksida

Post by buksida » 23 Dec 2011 08:25

Lola is always popular because it is the cheapest place on the beach, most of the other mid-range hotels are running under 50% occupancy.

buksida

Post by buksida » 25 Dec 2011 10:14

Things have bounced back in the last few days and now everywhere is full. :shock:

Caller

Post by Caller » 26 Dec 2011 17:53

I was surprised about the O/P's comments about BS being so quiet as thats how I found it this time 2 years ago (far too long) - pleasingly empty!

Where I stayed has 18 units, only 4 were occupied when we arrived on about the 8th December. It pretty much stayed that way, with 3 long-stayers, till we left towards the end of January. The only time it was full, and everywhere seemed full - with Thai's, was for a few days over the new year. Where I stayed they mainly had BBQ's on the beach and it didn't seem to impact on the bars/restaurents we used.

I also went to Montris when I was the only one there and more frequently to Why Not, although not late, when it was nice and relaxed - just how I like it!

Admittedly, thats my only stay to date - and it suited me just fine!

buksida

Post by buksida » 08 Jan 2012 10:32

Well the short spurt of tourism has all but ended and all is quiet again. Very unusual for this time of year.

buksida

Post by buksida » 05 Sep 2012 08:25

September is the quietest month in BS - the best time to come if you want the beach to yourself!

buksida

Post by buksida » 17 Dec 2014 10:38

Deja Vu.

BS is still extremely quiet, most bars and restaurants closed by 10pm due to lack of customers.

There has been a bungalow glut this year also with everyone that owns a few blades of grass building them. Certainly no shortage of accommodation for Xmas and New Year 2014.

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 17 Dec 2014 16:47

Chinese have now taken over as the highest number of visitors to come to Thailand ,some 18.6 % of the total market.

The Russian currency/economy is collapsing so Pattaya and Kho Samui will suffer

Not many Chinese/Koreans/Japanese would find their way to BS, they are mostly in Bangkok and CM.

This is having a negative effect with European tourists here in CM, they like it the way it was.

Walk down the tourist strip and it looks like Hong Kong.

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 29 Dec 2014 18:28

Well with the current PR about "Amazing Thailand" its little wonder.An old colleague of mine has been held up by the BIB for on Sukumvit Road twice and asked to show the contents of his teaching attache case.He speaks fluent Thai and they said they are looking for contraband.This is all coming out of the Thonglor Police Station.He refused a urine test and they backed off when he mention his lawyer.

This week in Chiang Mai a Dutchman was assaulted by 10, yes 10, Thais thugs when he refused to pay a 30,000 baht bill at a Karaoke joint on Changklan Rd.His mistake firstly as a tourist not knowing about the scam and secondly buying a round or 2 of drinks for the Uni students who work there at night.His face tells the story almost kicked unconcious. Its gone viral.These places are owned by prominent people and BIB and we had the incredible press release this week from the CM Governor imploring local businesses to be nice to tourists and not rip them off.

Years ago without the internet people would never know but Thailand is fast getting a reputation of there are better places to have a holiday. Jet skis and taxi mafia ,karaoke rip offs,unsolved murders........ the list is growing

buksida

Post by buksida » 30 Dec 2014 07:22

Fortunately Bangsaphan is spared all the tourist rip-offs you get elsewhere in Thailand but its only a matter of time.

Still dead quiet here, a good sign is Roy Tawan, usually at this time of year you cant get a seat during the morning as its packed. Went yesterday and you could take your pick! Hotels and resorts still at around 50% occupancy.

buksida

Post by buksida » 03 May 2016 10:05

Looks like the tourist season is well and truly over now. All bars/restaurants are closed by 9/10pm, and are sparsely populated during the day. Resorts are down to 20% occupancy.

There are two Thai public holidays this week so domestic tourism has increased but this does not help local bars/restaurants/coffee shops as they dont frequent them.