Foreigner unwanted - nothing for Farang

Bangsaphan general discussion and questions.
heikevie

Foreigner unwanted - nothing for Farang

Post by heikevie » 05 Mar 2011 15:38

More and more shops (no restaurant and small stores, until now) in Bangsaphan don’t want sell to foreigners.
Mostly shops for repair parts, electronic shops and building parts.
Is this the result that foreigners often threatened with the police, if they don't like something.
I have heard.
Has anyone had similar experiences?

bsb

Re: Foreigner unwanted - nothing for Farang

Post by bsb » 05 Mar 2011 15:51

I have never had that problem in any shop in Bang Saphan in over 6 years,Not Car,motorbike,computer,food,hardware, building, doctors ,dentist or hospital. Do you speak thai? could be a lack of communication on your part or attitude?

heikevie

Post by heikevie » 05 Mar 2011 16:07

No language problems. No misunderstandings. Just a new Phänomen.

I live for several years in BS. Full time. It is not just my experience.

bsb

Post by bsb » 05 Mar 2011 16:26

it will be interesting to read what other posters have to say on this matter. as I said before I have not had this problem,nor have I heard it from anyone else that lives here full time. even when I overhear someone in a store or the market,that does not speak the language,the thais always try to please in a most helpful way or even ask another thai for help to figure out what the person is looking for.

bsb

Post by bsb » 06 Mar 2011 09:06

I talked with 9 different farang last night that live here in different situations. Farang married to thai ,farang married to farang and both singe men farang and single women,none of these 9 have encountered the problem you speak of,althou it will be interesting to see what posters have to say as I said before.

heikevie

Post by heikevie » 06 Mar 2011 10:05

The nighlife at the beach are not necessarily the Point for this topic.

Although at these places important people important things are discussed.

To most people there is no concern. Because normally they do not buy such products as a tourist.

I wouldn't say names or addresses. It would be only trouble and It's against the rules of this forum.

In addition it would harm of the mostly usually very friendly shops and business in Bangsaphan. Or harm to tourism.

But you can be sure that these experiences are true.

bsb

Post by bsb » 06 Mar 2011 10:41

if communicate at these shops as well as you read...I can see the problem...I said nothing about any beach bar nightlife,some of these people do not even drink,I sure said nothing about tourists.All of the people I spoke with have lived here a long time.

buksida

Post by buksida » 06 Mar 2011 11:27

Never had such problems myself, if anything I've found some of the local shops in BS are over friendly, especially when compared to those in Hua Hin.

Maybe a more specific example would help or maybe it was a one-off?

bsb

Post by bsb » 06 Mar 2011 14:50

I could see a thai girl in a thai clothing shop saying"nothing for farang " if the farang was large and all the inventory was thai one size.Not being rude but perhaps limited english.

stevee99

Post by stevee99 » 07 Mar 2011 08:52

Well, i'm a few days into my first trip to bang saphan and have to disagree.
We've eaten at Thai menu only restaurants and even with my limited Thai have been able to order easily. Again, the market is easy and very friendly. if anything we are going to stay on a few extra days......
Another point to mention.....slightly off topic but everything is VERY cheap here compared to other tourist resorts in Thailand. 30 baht for a dish on the beach....wow!
Keep it up bang saphan, my family and i will be back for sure.

bsb

Post by bsb » 07 Mar 2011 09:28

stevee99 glad to hear from a tourist and get your side of the story and thoughts on how you were treated, sounds like you are having a great time visiting here,as most people do. And regardless of some of the bs you read here it is a great little town,with great people for the most part both thai and farang.

heikevie

Post by heikevie » 07 Mar 2011 09:45

That's what I can definitely confirm.

But this cases was other experiences.

For example. Try to buy a simple motorcycle spare part or something for the garden.
If you find the concerned shops, you have the same experience.

And that surprised me. For a few months ago there was in the exact same stores no problems.

Has something changed in the mood?

Or they were just isolated cases?

bsb

Post by bsb » 07 Mar 2011 10:20

everybody has bad days ....maybe on their part or maybe on your side.since no one else has had these problems ,I gotta believe maybe you were having a bad day and needed someone to blame it on. I have 3 motorbikes and have never had a problem at any of the dealers or small repair shops. Get great service at TOA as well as the small chineese shop near Panosonic for repair items.....and various others

bsb

Post by bsb » 10 Mar 2011 12:59

just returned from town and witnessed the top nominee for stupid farang of the year award. an english speaking man yelling a a clerk in 7-11 because she did not speak and understand his english,he turned to me and said "do you believe this stupid people can not speak english?" I am sure what I said to him would be censored here. It truely is amazing the attitude of some farang here. Get a grip and a life ,this is thailand we speak thai you old goat.

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 11 Mar 2011 13:52

Have had the same situation at a car rental firm in HH where a German national was berating the Thai boy who was trying to extract from him the correct money owing . He called the boy "stupid" because he didn't speak English.I asked the German guy did he speak Thai? His answer "why I want to speak Thai ? " I said well you are in Thailand and I guess that makes you both stupid. He shaped up to me and told me to F*** off. I guess we all know that some foreigners are dysfunctional in their own countries and when here are on some sort of power trip. He left ,the boy was in tears ,and me trying to apologise to him for this idiots behaviour. If anyone else finds themselves in this situation I hope you step in and support the abused as bsp did.