Foreigner unwanted - nothing for Farang

Bangsaphan general discussion and questions.
heikevie

Re: Foreigner unwanted - nothing for Farang

Post by heikevie » 11 Mar 2011 14:19

Unbelievable, but unfortunately true.
But not only German do this. That is worldwide .
Why do foreigners do not learn the language of their host country? Or a little understanding if the people here do not understand English so well. Perhaps tourists with high expectations. Least try to understand.

Thais are very tollerant.
But be carefull, woe unto Thais lose the face.

If foreigners come to our home country, they should understand something of the language. But that's a different topics. For another discussion.

lomboklomtalay

Post by lomboklomtalay » 12 Mar 2011 12:48

bsb wrote:just returned from town and witnessed the top nominee for stupid farang of the year award. an english speaking man yelling a a clerk in 7-11 because she did not speak and understand his english,he turned to me and said "do you believe this stupid people can not speak english?" I am sure what I said to him would be censored here. It truely is amazing the attitude of some farang here. Get a grip and a life ,this is thailand we speak thai you old goat.

I love your comments.

lomboklomtalay

Post by lomboklomtalay » 12 Mar 2011 12:52

Mike Parker wrote:Have had the same situation at a car rental firm in HH where a German national was berating the Thai boy who was trying to extract from him the correct money owing . He called the boy "stupid" because he didn't speak English.I asked the German guy did he speak Thai? His answer "why I want to speak Thai ? " I said well you are in Thailand and I guess that makes you both stupid. He shaped up to me and told me to F*** off. I guess we all know that some foreigners are dysfunctional in their own countries and when here are on some sort of power trip. He left ,the boy was in tears ,and me trying to apologise to him for this idiots behaviour. If anyone else finds themselves in this situation I hope you step in and support the abused as bsp did.
Great! I love the way you did.

Diving Lore

Post by Diving Lore » 17 Apr 2011 15:03

If it was me there I'd probably challenge the gimp to a fist-fight outside! LOL.
Not had the 'farang fck off' treatment yet here though...

bsb

Post by bsb » 17 Apr 2011 19:27

as long as you don't act like one that needs it ...you will probaly never receive it here in Bang Saphan,in all my years here in Bang Saphan I have never had a problem with a thai.....

Brazen Warrior

Post by Brazen Warrior » 05 May 2011 19:02

Hi, I'm writing again after a long time. I think I know what will HeikeVie out.
My husband and I were from October 2010 to March 2011 in Bang Saphan, and it happened to us, we were not served in * 1 * Shop. And indeed it was shortly after an elderly German couple, a display at the local police made​​. I have to say that the couple several times been inconvenienced in Bang Saphan. So to the point: My husband and I are purely down to BS and wanted to buy us a replacement part for our scooters. We arrived at the shop and asked politely if he could have for this part. In response came from his wife: "No deals with farangs "!!!! I was totally shocked, that's never happened to us, I know not. All Thai's, I've met so far are polite and nice. I must say, my English and my Thai is not perfect. But that was never a problem: With a friendly smile and sign language (I speak with hands and feet), we have always been the goal.
I really hope that these people only had one bad day,...........

Brazen Warrior

Post by Brazen Warrior » 05 May 2011 19:09

PS: I think it's very important when you go to another country that you have mastered the language. Well, at least the most important. Therefore, I will learn now increasingly Thai. That will be fun,....* smile *
When I return in August, I want to talk more

bsb

Post by bsb » 05 May 2011 20:35

is anyone else seeing a common denominator here is these posts,on farangs with problems?

Mr Wu

Post by Mr Wu » 06 May 2011 08:21

On the surface it does seem to be a bit nationality specific, yes ...

I have never experienced problems in any shop anywhere in Thailand, but then I always go armed with a smile and a few words of the language.

bsb

Post by bsb » 09 May 2011 09:22

thought it was just me seeing it

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 18 Sep 2011 01:08

Never had a problem myself. BS Thai people have always "bent over backward" (try their very best) to find out what I need and sell it to me. I frequently bring along a picture (that I take on my camera, or get from the internet) of what I'm trying to buy, since verbal communication is usually the problem.
"Don't take life too serious. It ain't no ways permanent."
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 03 Dec 2011 20:52

>>I frequently bring along a picture (that I take on my camera, or get from the internet) of >>what I'm trying to buy, since verbal communication is usually the problem.

That's always a big help and will save frustration all around. We have to remember that it's irritating for Thais also to have communication problems, even when they're the seller and supposed to be accomodating. Just think how our lives would be if we worked in a shop in a foreign country without knowing the language and had to take shit from arrogant millionaires about not knowing the language. We are the millionaires here, but let's be kindly, not arrogant.
"Don't take life too serious. It ain't no ways permanent."
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly