New Tesco Lotus store for Bangsaphan

Bangsaphan general discussion and questions.
buksida

New Tesco Lotus store for Bangsaphan

Post by buksida » 20 Feb 2011 09:00

A large patch of land has been cleared opposite the hospital in BS town. I've been told that it will be a new Tesco Lotus store.

If anyone has any more info please post it.

bsb

Re: New Tesco Lotus store for Bangsaphan

Post by bsb » 03 Mar 2011 10:52

I have spoke to several "in the know Thais" and they seem to go along with this...I have rather mixed emotions about, kinda like seeing your mother -in-law drive off a cliff in your new BMW. It will be nice to not have to go to Hua-Hin (or hell for you that still live there) for things not avaiable here, howevr will it help or hurt the local economy and all the small mom and pop stores. Could it turn out to be the first baby step to becoming another Hua-Hin?

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 03 Mar 2011 16:41

Its the classic catch 22 .It probably will marginally hurt the mom and pop stores but may encourage more people to move into the area bringing with it more economic activity.I'm not sure about another Hua Hin.Being selfish, maybe not in my life time.Hua Hin certainly has lost its appeal for me and many others over the last 12 years. Ordinary, crowded beach , annoying tailors,sleazy bars, more like Pattaya then HH used to be. The beach area does need a mini mart of some sort.Any chance of GK's being sold and opening again with new owners ?

Caller

Post by Caller » 04 Mar 2011 01:51

Surely it will be built in proportion to the size of the projected size and type of shopper it will attract, just as in the UK? Can't imagine it being as big as Tescos in Pranburi or the Carrefour in Chumphon (is it still called that)? And the latter, when I was there, had little for the farang?

Whats the populace of the immediate, what, 50 miles north and south of town and the numbers of farangs in that area? Not very high I would have thought?

Be interesting to see what emerges.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » 04 Mar 2011 03:09

I'd see a lot of advantages coming from a Tesco. It's not just the mom & pop shop/market type business, but the home & wear type of business it brings. IMHO the home & wear type of goods in Hua Hin raised the bar a bit, and other shops followed suit.
Green Army

bsb

Post by bsb » 04 Mar 2011 07:56

Mike Parker wrote"Ordinary, crowded beach , annoying tailors,sleazy bars, more like Pattaya then HH used to be. The beach area does need a mini mart of some sort.Any chance of GK's being sold and opening again with new owners ?"
I only hope we will not be writing the same thing about Bang Saphan in the future, then again if it wasn't for all the people those business's wouldn't be there. definatly a catch 22. I heard Nong is going back in her house/mini mart, but not sure all the thais think the house is bad luck ....so who knows

buksida

Post by buksida » 04 Mar 2011 08:45

Thankfully BS doesn't (yet) have the farang population to warrant anything catering for them. High season which runs from December to March sees quite a few Europeans around the beach area but the rest of the year it is dead and the total expat population must be about 50 so I can't see them stocking anything specific for westerners.

There must be market studies for these things, BS is an affluent town, everyone works or runs a business so a large supermarket there is a logical step IMO.

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 04 Mar 2011 12:22

Well you guys are on the ground there and certainly know the potential business to be had. Maybe then a small mini mart needs to be incorporated into an existing beach area business. I'm not talking about perishables but basic everyday items. Ourselves, and some folk I know, did investigate moving to that area but the cost of houses/land is ,to our thinking, on the extremely high side, hardly justified with the lack of basic infrastruture there in BS. I am talking about land way back from the beach frontage which understandable is very highly priced. Like Buksida I hope major projects never happen. Maybe the TESCO proposed store may well be a "Tesco Express" more like a larger, better stocked 7/11.

buksida

Post by buksida » 04 Mar 2011 15:23

Mike Parker wrote:Ourselves, and some folk I know, did investigate moving to that area but the cost of houses/land is ,to our thinking, on the extremely high side, hardly justified with the lack of basic infrastruture there in BS. I am talking about land way back from the beach frontage which understandable is very highly priced.
Yes, it has jumped considerably in the last two years but this is mainly due to affluent Thais from Bangkok buying up large multi-rai plots. Still, the cost of land is a fraction of what you'd pay in Hua Hell, Pranburi or Dolphin Bay ... and it is only going to go one way ...

TheCoffeeGarden

Post by TheCoffeeGarden » 25 Mar 2011 16:50

Is there a TESCO in Prachuap or in Chumpon?
If not, I doubt that BS will get one.

Caller

Post by Caller » 26 Mar 2011 03:52

There's a small Tescos in Prachuap - in the UK it would be of the Tesco Express type (like a very large 7/11)

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » 26 Mar 2011 16:30

Surely, if there's nothing much else in the area, the logistical cost of replenishing from the warehouse would be astronomical. Therefore, if they already have an outlet in Prachuap, they'll be looking to move more business into the area to make it more economical to support.
Green Army

TheCoffeeGarden

Post by TheCoffeeGarden » 02 Apr 2011 08:54

I've heard that Siam Paragon bought the land and is planning to open a shopping center. Some people went along with that, some didn't.

buksida

Post by buksida » 02 Apr 2011 21:41

TheCoffeeGarden wrote:I've heard that Siam Paragon bought the land and is planning to open a shopping center.
Interesting, where did you hear this? Most locals I have spoken to are still convinced it will be a Tescos ... however the 'grapevine' only goes so far ...!

SeaShell

Post by SeaShell » 03 May 2011 06:43

Hi TheCoffeeGarden,

Answering your question...Yes! we do have a large Tesco's in Prachuap Khirikhan and a large Tesco's in Chumphon. Looking at the building site in BS, if it is going to be a Tesco's, it will be a small one! :?