Beach cleaners wanted!

Bangsaphan general discussion and questions.
buksida

Beach cleaners wanted!

Post by buksida » 23 Jan 2011 18:41

It seems like the current high tides are bringing in all of the junk that the ocean spits out. 90% of this crap has been thrown overboard by irresponsible, careless and ignorant fishing boat crews. It all ends up on Bangsaphan's beaches ... plastic bottles, cigarette lighters, rubber shoes, toothbrushes, fishing tackle, ropes, floats, plastic bags, styrofoam, plastic boxes, glass bottles ...

Yesterday I took two large black bin liners from Why Not Bar and walked the beach to Montri's (about 500 meters), they were both full by the time I got there - about 40 kilos of plastic.

If you walk the beach often and fancy helping out, grab a bag from Why Not and get it filled - the tide line of plastic returns every day which shows how much shit these idiots have been tossing overboard.

Mike Parker

Re: Beach cleaners wanted!

Post by Mike Parker » 23 Jan 2011 19:00

If I wan't in Chiang Mai I would be there tomorrow. I was there a few weeks ago and the beach was in pristine condition,well almost ! Plenty of guys there with time to spare hope you heed the call.

descib

Post by descib » 25 Jan 2011 20:04

Hi Mike

still in jewelry ?

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 25 Jan 2011 20:15

descib wrote:Hi Mike

still in jewelry ?
????????????? Sorry think you have the wrong guy ! :roll:

descib

Post by descib » 25 Jan 2011 20:32

Sorry :P

there's a Mike Parker in Chiang Mai who sale hand made jewelry

buksida

Post by buksida » 26 Jan 2011 08:47

Image Back to topic please.

buksida

Post by buksida » 28 Jan 2011 17:57

Some great sentiments there, and welcome to the board Sotonian.

Call me cynical but the day any Thai government department actually listens to farangs or tourists will be the day I eat that line of rubbish myself!

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 28 Jan 2011 18:20

buksida wrote:Some great sentiments there, and welcome to the board Sotonian.

Call me cynical but the day any Thai government department actually listens to farangs or tourists will be the day I eat that line of rubbish myself!
Not cynical.... reality. I have been in Thailand 11 years and have never seen any serious attempts by the authorities to look after the environment.Boats still drop anchor in Marine National Parks, ripping up the coral ,when departing.Went diving at Similan Islands ,supposedly a top spot,don't bother going its awful. But back to Bangsaphan I did post a while ago about getting the school kids to get involved in beach clean ups and shame the parents.Gets the kids out of the classroom and teaches them some valuable lessons about the environment they will inherit. Its all about education. We met a young American guy named Matt on the beach in December,he is teaching at a local school maybe he could get it rolling. Meanwhile you only hope is to get local Thais who own businesses to start aggravating officials. Can't believe its all from fishing boats ,although they are notorious for chucking it overboard ,most likely the rubbish that came out of Bangkok in the recent floods and has made its way south.

buksida

Post by buksida » 29 Jan 2011 09:01

Mike Parker wrote:Can't believe its all from fishing boats ,although they are notorious for chucking it overboard ,most likely the rubbish that came out of Bangkok in the recent floods and has made its way south.
I'd say a good 80-90% is from the fishing boats, it happens every year regardless of whether there has been flooding in Bangkok. Additionally there is a lot of fishing junk in the trash; ropes, nets, floats, bamboo fishing poles, polystyrene containers, plastic buoys, etc. The other 20% I'd reckon comes from the river at the north end of the bay, people living on it simply dump all of their trash into the water and the ocean spits it out on the beaches round the coast.

You're spot on with the education point, it has to start in the schools now before the environment is permanently damaged. Shame the environment and education ministries don't get together and come up with something constructive instead of lining their own pockets ...

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 29 Jan 2011 10:27

buksida wrote:
Mike Parker wrote:Can't believe its all from fishing boats ,although they are notorious for chucking it overboard ,most likely the rubbish that came out of Bangkok in the recent floods and has made its way south.
I'd say a good 80-90% is from the fishing boats, it happens every year regardless of whether there has been flooding in Bangkok. Additionally there is a lot of fishing junk in the trash; ropes, nets, floats, bamboo fishing poles, polystyrene containers, plastic buoys, etc. The other 20% I'd reckon comes from the river at the north end of the bay, people living on it simply dump all of their trash into the water and the ocean spits it out on the beaches round the coast.

You're spot on with the education point, it has to start in the schools now before the environment is permanently damaged. Shame the environment and education ministries don't get together and come up with something constructive instead of lining their own pockets ...
Well you are on the spot in Bangsaphan,so respect your evaluation as to the source of the rubbish,unlike myself. based in Chiang Mai. Let me say though that many years ago Ian Kiernan a prominent Sydney yachtsman, was sailing well off shore when he encountered what was virtually a floating rubbish tip. This motivated him to be the prime instigator of "Clean up Australia" day which is now held annually and in many other countries around the world. The frustrataing thing is how do you get the Thais on board to respect their own backyard. On the train back to Hua Hin from Bangsapahn Yai it was horrifying to see how much rubbish was happpily thrown out the window as the train moved through the countryside.The culprits ...adults.

migrant

Post by migrant » 29 Jan 2011 12:03

Mike Parker wrote:
buksida wrote:

Well you are on the spot in Bangsaphan,so respect your evaluation as to the source of the rubbish,unlike myself. based in Chiang Mai. Let me say though that many years ago Ian Kiernan a prominent Sydney yachtsman, was sailing well off shore when he encountered what was virtually a floating rubbish tip. This motivated him to be the prime instigator of "Clean up Australia" day which is now held annually and in many other countries around the world. The frustrataing thing is how do you get the Thais on board to respect their own backyard. On the train back to Hua Hin from Bangsapahn Yai it was horrifying to see how much rubbish was happpily thrown out the window as the train moved through the countryside.The culprits ...adults.
Lots of groups from boy/girl scouts to school and church groups hold regular beach cleanups here in California

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 29 Jan 2011 19:00

Have a BBQ afterwards .Can be a lot of fun. Just need a set of hanging scales, prizes for the most KG collected.Competition often brings out the best in people.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » 29 Jan 2011 22:47

migrant wrote:Lots of groups from boy/girl scouts to school and church groups hold regular beach cleanups here in California
Don't the Thai schools get involved in such community projects anyway? My eldest grand daughter who lives in Hua Hin wears a different uniform (looks like a girl scout) once each week. My daughter has told me on that day, her class gets involved in community tasks such as beach cleaning.

I must admit, I've never been along to watch :oops:

I just assumed all schools would be involved in similar projects throughout Thailand.
Green Army

bajm

Post by bajm » 30 Jan 2011 16:10

Last year, I took this picture in Ban Krut when I noticed that the children were cleaning the beach.
But from the uniform I cannot not tell if they belong to a school or a scouts-group. I assume it is a school.
Attachments
beachcleaning.jpg