Bangsaphan beach cleaning

Bangsaphan general discussion and questions.
buksida

Bangsaphan beach cleaning

Post by buksida » 12 Oct 2010 13:48

robert.liljedahl wrote: I couldn't help to notice that it looked liked there were a lot of washed up junk on the beach. Is that the case? Do they keep it clean outside of the resorts?
Sadly yes, a fair bit of junk finds its way onto the beaches at certain times of the year. Irresponsible local fishermen are the culprits.

Some of the larger resorts clear their little patch of beach but most of it remains. I often have a big fire near Montri's to get rid of a lot of it.

Edit: this thread has been split from here

Mr Chin Chok

Re: Greetings from Sweden (...and also a bunch of questions)

Post by Mr Chin Chok » 12 Oct 2010 19:19

buksida wrote:
robert.liljedahl wrote: I couldn't help to notice that it looked liked there were a lot of washed up junk on the beach. Is that the case? Do they keep it clean outside of the resorts?
Sadly yes, a fair bit of junk finds its way onto the beaches at certain times of the year. Irresponsible local fishermen are the culprits.

Some of the larger resorts clear their little patch of beach but most of it remains. I often have a big fire near Montri's to get rid of a lot of it.
If I ever become a more permanent resident of BS I hope to organize a beach cleaning event. Join the beach-cleaning crew for a few hours and then a party somewhere. Clean the beach from Montri's to I-Talay could be a start.

I hope someone beats me to it - a BS guide event maybe?

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 12 Oct 2010 19:55

I used to run a "Clean up your World Day" in Australia with involvement and prizes for local schools. The kids got out of the classroom, learnt about re cycling and the importance of their environment and a party/bbq afterwards .I'm sure the local resorts would help sponsor are regular clean up,its in their interest. Don't burn just creates more pollution

robert.liljedahl

Post by robert.liljedahl » 12 Oct 2010 20:47

Mike Parker wrote:I used to run a "Clean up your World Day" in Australia with involvement and prizes for local schools. The kids got out of the classroom, learnt about re cycling and the importance of their environment and a party/bbq afterwards .I'm sure the local resorts would help sponsor are regular clean up,its in their interest. Don't burn just creates more pollution
Sounds like a great idea Mike!

buksida

Re: Bangsaphan beach cleaning

Post by buksida » 13 Oct 2010 10:39

Excellent suggestions, I'll put it to some of the local beach places.

Not sure on the burning comment though, it has to be better than burying it back in the ground where it'll take another 4,000 years to decompose! A lot of the trash is wood, coconuts, ropes, bamboo, palm fronds etc, there isn't actually that much plastic - it just stands out more!

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 13 Oct 2010 10:58

Many areas even in Thailand now have an unamed piece of machinery (composter)basically a bin which has strong cutting blades within and a chute that chops all wood, branches etc into small pieces (mulch)which is then bagged and can then be used gardens .Of course wire /rope/metal etc has to be removed first. They are usually mounted on a trailer which means you can cover a large area. Not suggesting Bangsaphan has one but looking ahead the rubbish washing up on the beach is not going to stop and it would be a worthwhile investment if you could convince the local head man. Got to start somewhere !!!

buksida

Post by buksida » 19 Oct 2010 22:00

So who would be interested in some beach cleaning then?

Not sure now is the best time though - the next month or so will see some really high tides that totally submerge the beach and give it a natural scrub.

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 20 Oct 2010 15:09

I would be interested in helping clean the beach but wont be there until November. I wish people who own businesses, especialy, would see the importance of keeping your number one asset as pristine as possible. Overseas when people talk about holidays and Thai beaches the very first thing they ask "is the beach clean" If its not its the biggest turn off possible, who wants to walk and swim amongst rubbish.The amount of rubbish that washes out of rivers ,especialy Bangkok, is unbeliveable and it all finds its way to the shoreline somewhere. The Gold Coast in Australia is renowned for its clean beaches which bring millions of tourists and their dollars to visit. See how they do it ,google www.beachcleaner. Time for Thailand to move into the present !

Mr Chin Chok

Post by Mr Chin Chok » 20 Oct 2010 16:34

Interested I am but only two days left here :(

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 22 Oct 2010 15:54

Looks like you might be by yourself ! TV pictures from Bangkok show a frightening amount of rubbish heading for the open seas as a result of some terrible flooding we are having up north. Problem is it will all finish up on beaches somewhere. I would suggest if there is to be a clean up better to leave it a few weeks until the rain etc has gone

buksida

Post by buksida » 23 Oct 2010 08:34

Good point, those big tides will be with us soon also, I wonder where it all gets dumped then.