Computer Equipment coming to Thailand

Bangsaphan general discussion and questions.
cjsiam

Computer Equipment coming to Thailand

Post by cjsiam » 31 May 2021 00:45

So....
Given that about 2/3rds of the stars have aligned....Looks like departure for Land of Smiles and
some stint in a hotel for 14days is coming up.....
And then move to BangSaphan and completion of house....

Computers are part and parcel of what I do to entertain myself...some of which involves some
higher performance demands....

Do I buy here (in the US) and transport? Or try and source local?
Are there any good support companies in this space within a couple hours drive? (or even farther?)
UPS/Surge protectors---All will get LOTS of attention...but, when there are casualties---I'm gonna need a place to
go to get fixes/help--are there any?

Also---any thoughts on Laptop vs. Desktop?....fixing/repair of laptop is much more problematic then getting new
boards for a desktop chassis and getting them installed.....but, you're also tied down and more dependant on the
continuous power....

Thoughts and ideas/suggestions solicited.....
(I've been blocked from the Thai Visa forum...so can't ask there....)

buksida

Re: Computer Equipment coming to Thailand

Post by buksida » 31 May 2021 08:45

I think I've answered a lot of these on the power problems thread ... but anyway:

I would buy as much as you can in the US. Prices for computer hardware have skyrocketed here recently (they were high to begin with):
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/21 ... n-the-rise

There are a couple of very basic shops in BS but their knowledge is limited and they have virtually no stock (mice and usb cables mostly).
Parts can be sourced online - I do all of my own builds and repairs.

Laptop vs desktop is an age-old discussion, I have both. One for traveling one for home use. As you know, laptops are a nightmare to fix if something major goes wrong, but they're built pretty well these days - my Acer is now into its fourth year.

You will definitely need a UPS, I would go for 1000va or higher, possibly the solar panel kit also to get you through the power outages.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » 31 May 2021 11:28

One other thing to bear in mind is actual availability in Thailand at the moment. To find what you actually want could take a lot of searching. I've replaced a laptop recently, and ended up having to order out of country. There was a long leadtime tracking the new beastie through the Philippines, Brunei, Singapore and Malaysia. I'm delighted now that I've got it, but it was a long wait.
Green Army

bsb

Post by bsb » 01 Jun 2021 14:46

Be aware also a ton of the shit here is copies!

buksida

Post by buksida » 19 Jul 2021 08:28

@cjsiam - would seriously advise bringing as much computer equipment as you can to Thailand now as you can't buy much here anymore. What is left in terms of local stock is priced astronomically and there is now a thriving second-hand market for computer parts, some of which are selling for more than they cost brand new 3-4 years ago.

Its utter insanity.