Ko Thalu coral damage

Bangsaphan general discussion and questions.
Scorpion

Ko Thalu coral damage

Post by Scorpion » 08 Apr 2021 13:56

It has been a while since I last snorkeled around the 'protected' areas of Ko Thalu Island, 1 year plus. I remember spending long periods under water observing a fantastic coral gardens, marine life and abundant fish, it was as if in a giant aquarium.

However, a recent visit to the same location, around the Southern tip, was extremely disappointing. The sea floor was as if a giant metal trawl net had devastated all the coral, it lay in pieces on the sea floor, no fish, just the odd giant clam (this is of course is not the case, as it is barricaded off and too shallow, but you get the picture).

Water temperature rise and coral bleaching a possibility, but, the difference I observed would have taken several years, not just one. The coral 'appeared' to have been physically damaged.

Does anybody have any idea what has happened?

buksida

Re: Ko Thalu

Post by buksida » 09 Apr 2021 07:46

Its a combination of coral bleaching due to rising sea temperatures (which can actually happen within a year if there is a particularly strong El Niño) and fishing/anchoring on the reef. Once the organisms in the coral die out, the remains break up pretty quickly. Went out there about two weeks ago and there is very little coral left sadly, even at the north end where it flourished.

The coral around the island (or what remains of it) has no protection at all from the authorities.

Scorpion

Re: Ko Thalu coral damage

Post by Scorpion » 09 Apr 2021 11:03

Yes, the 'protection regime' for what I thought was a conservation area seems very weak.