Bangsaphan Coronavirus/Covid-19 updates

Bangsaphan general discussion and questions.
osandpo

Re: Bangsaphan Coronavirus/Covid-19 updates

Post by osandpo » 06 Aug 2021 09:19

I’m slowly coming round to the idea that I might take sinovac if nothing else is available and then use Pfizer, AZ or Moderna as a booster later on. On the basis that some antibodies are always better than none if infections spread outside the cities

buksida

Post by buksida » 06 Aug 2021 11:42

My concern is the politics of travel with Chinese jabs or an untested Thai invented cocktail (though mixing is going on elsewhere with good results - Pfizer+AZ seems to work well). However, a mix with a low-performing vaccine such as Sinovac/Sinopharm may not be accepted in the West resulting in more quarantine on arrival (China has already banned foreigners that are not jabbed with its own vaccine).

For that reason, I'm happy to wait until next year.

migrant

Post by migrant » 07 Aug 2021 04:34

buksida wrote:
06 Aug 2021 11:42
My concern is the politics of travel with Chinese jabs or an untested Thai invented cocktail (though mixing is going on elsewhere with good results - Pfizer+AZ seems to work well). However, a mix with a low-performing vaccine such as Sinovac/Sinopharm may not be accepted in the West resulting in more quarantine on arrival (China has already banned foreigners that are not jabbed with its own vaccine).

Exactly the reason I won't do sinovac and will also wait. Even my 81 year old mother in law with many health issues doesn't want sinovac.

buksida

Post by buksida » 07 Aug 2021 11:38

There are people spreading rumours of a massive outbreak here and schools way off the beaten track being taken over as field hospitals for "hundreds of cases".

As far as I know, it is complete BS. We live in a very small community so would know if this was the case. The handful of cases here in the main hospital have been imported from elsewhere.

osandpo

Post by osandpo » 07 Aug 2021 11:49

buksida wrote:
07 Aug 2021 11:38
There are people spreading rumours of a massive outbreak here and schools way off the beaten track being taken over as field hospitals for "hundreds of cases".

As far as I know, it is complete BS. We live in a very small community so would know if this was the case. The handful of cases here in the main hospital have been imported from elsewhere.
You’re very probably right! The gossip grapevine in this district seems to know what’s happening even before the doctors do! :lol:

osandpo

Post by osandpo » 07 Aug 2021 11:52

buksida wrote:
06 Aug 2021 11:42

Been thinking about that too as I need to see my 85 year old Mum, but at least for the moment the UK and, I think, the EU(?) require all arrivals from Thailand to self quarantine regardless of whether they’ve been vaccinated or not (and no exceptions for the more trustworthy vaccines either)

buksida

Post by buksida » 09 Aug 2021 08:28

Looks like the BCCT option for Brits wanting AZ is working, I know a couple of people that have gone up there.

Not for me though, traveling to Bangkok at the moment just doesn't appeal - vaccine or not. It means spending a night there and wasting two days or driving for 14 hours and racing to get back before curfew, then having to quarantine on return. No thanks.

There was a spike in vaccinations on Friday, but as usual, everything grinds to a halt at the weekends (as if the virus cares!). Hopefully, these higher figures will be maintained and the new batches are starting to turn up here. 6.6% is still a pretty woeful figure though.

vaccines.jpg

buksida

Post by buksida » 11 Aug 2021 11:10

Superb article on what a complete fckup Thailand's "leaders" have made of the situation: https://asiatimes.com/2021/08/covid-bla ... -thailand/

osandpo

Post by osandpo » 12 Aug 2021 11:47

buksida wrote:
09 Aug 2021 08:28
Looks like the BCCT option for Brits wanting AZ is working, I know a couple of people that have gone up there.

Not for me though, traveling to Bangkok at the moment just doesn't appeal - vaccine or not. It means spending a night there and wasting two days or driving for 14 hours and racing to get back before curfew, then having to quarantine on return. No thanks.

There was a spike in vaccinations on Friday, but as usual, everything grinds to a halt at the weekends (as if the virus cares!). Hopefully, these higher figures will be maintained and the new batches are starting to turn up here. 6.6% is still a pretty woeful figure though.

vaccines.jpg
I made the same decision about going up to Bangkok - the risk and the inconvenience are just not worth it for now at least

buksida

Post by buksida » 13 Aug 2021 07:56

There are a couple of people here that have done it but for me it is just too risky. BS is very safe compared to other places, there have been no outbreaks here and the only cases in the hospital at the moment are individual cases from elsewhere or have been imported for treatment. We have our little social bubble and there is no covid on our empty beach so I'm happy to stay here and wait it out.

I've registered for both the BCCT and Expatvac but considering my age, it will be a very long wait! I would travel to HH or PKK for AZ or Pfizer but that doesn't look likely either.

osandpo

Post by osandpo » 13 Aug 2021 11:03

I was on the 60+ priority list but BCCT told me they don’t have any way at the moment to arrange vaccinations in this province (or most other areas outside Greater Bangkok).
Let’s see what the Expatvac thing delivers … and where!

osandpo

Post by osandpo » 14 Aug 2021 15:27

:lol: Latest in the Ban Krut health volunteer saga. She turned up today to say a vaccine was available for me because of some no-shows. We asked if it is AZ or Sinovac. Turned out to be Sinovac which I prefer not to have. I wonder if I’ll now be blacklisted forever….

buksida

Post by buksida » 15 Aug 2021 10:54

I doubt it, there are many many Thais also refusing Sinovac. It simply doesn't do the job against this latest variant, the junta is trying to get rid of their supply of them on the population to get those vax numbers up and make them look better.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » 15 Aug 2021 20:50

In Hua Hin it looks 3 strikes and you're out i.e. taken off the list at the 3rd refusal.

As for Sinocrap, another 3M doses received today.
Green Army

buksida

Post by buksida » 19 Aug 2021 07:34

Just a note to those that are taking the untested mixed jabs - a number of countries including the UK, Ireland, and Germany may not accept them on arrival resulting in more quarantine. The WHO has stated that not enough testing has been done but Thailand, as usual, does things its own way (testing on the plebeians). There are also several countries that treat Sinovac the same as being unvaccinated so ... more quarantine if you travel there.

Of course, the junta is defending its position and is continuing with cocktails after completely screwing up the AZ deal.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ail-policy