Foreigners 'May Soon be Able to do 90-Day Reports at 7-11s'

Bangsaphan general discussion and questions.
yoursTruly

Foreigners 'May Soon be Able to do 90-Day Reports at 7-11s'

Post by yoursTruly » 23 Oct 2014 16:03

"Well blow me down!" as Popeye used to say.

This is the merger of corporate and state functions. Mussolini coined the world "Fascism": the corporate state. Like when Assange called the White House and got put through to a high level Google employee instead.

Anyway, this one ain't so bad if it comes about.

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=4557

Maybe da General is actually sincere about attracting tourists.
"Don't take life too serious. It ain't no ways permanent."
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

Mike Parker

Re: Foreigners 'May Soon be Able to do 90-Day Reports at 7-1

Post by Mike Parker » 24 Oct 2014 11:41

Don't hold your breath ! The passport bar code system they put in at CM so you didn't have to supply vast amounts of photocopies lasted 3 months before it collapsed. If you don't have an on line appointment for extension of visa and you want to get processed that day you have to turn up at the office at 5am .People are actually sleeping in their cars in the parking lot. I kid you not ! But we do have a 7/11 every 100 metres, lets keep our spirits up !

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 25 Oct 2014 08:19

Mike Parker wrote:Don't hold your breath ! The passport bar code system they put in at CM so you didn't have to supply vast amounts of photocopies lasted 3 months before it collapsed. If you don't have an on line appointment for extension of visa and you want to get processed that day you have to turn up at the office at 5am .People are actually sleeping in their cars in the parking lot. I kid you not ! But we do have a 7/11 every 100 metres, lets keep our spirits up !
I agree. Might be a fiasco. But if it were at the 7/11, at least you could drink beer and eat junk food till your number came up. :)

Inefficiency and government ineptitude are a two edge sword I think. If a country gets really efficient, it grows faster, goes upscale, and gets more expensive. Pretty soon you've got Singapore--well run, efficient, expensive and boring.

At the other end of the scale you've got countries in Africa which are so inefficient that there's poverty everywhere, high crime rates, and even high prices because no tourists want to go there, so all you have are expensive businessman hotels.

Thailand is a happy medium--efficient up to a point, but just enough bungling, lazyness, and corruption to slow down the pace of "progress", so life is still a pretty good value here for us foreigners.
"Don't take life too serious. It ain't no ways permanent."
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 26 Oct 2014 09:39

At a recent meeting between the head honcho of CM Immigration and the CM Expats club he was asked why do we need to report our address every 90 days? Because we need to know where you live he replied....The question again was asked ...why ? he could not answer.

The man who asked the question has lived at the same address for 27 years.

He was also asked why there could not be 3 or 5 year retirement visas with the money paid up front,that would take away a huge amount of staff time and paper work again he could not come up with an answer.

The population of foreigners living in CH has increased by 800% in 10 years,the staff has increased by less than a dozen people and its standing room only, overflowing into the car park.

Maybe down your way its easier but a bl***y nightmare here

NolaK

Post by NolaK » 03 Nov 2014 09:42

Mike, after 4 years in CH I moved down to BS 6 months ago. The difference at immigration is like night and day. I have never been in an IM office for more than 20 minutes, no matter what all I have needed to do. On the other side, the drive to get to one can be very time consuming. Like you any regulations, or removal of regulations, that makes life easier for people legitimately here has my vote. The lines in CM are certainly inexcusable. No one who has not lived there could believe it.

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 05 Nov 2014 15:50

Yes Nola its bedlam here for many due to the influx of foreigners who have taken up residence here.That includes growing numbers of Chinese ,Koreans and Japanese which compounds the problem as many can't write Thai or English to fill out forms.

However you can get an on line appointment for extension which I have done for 2 years so no waiting and they now allow 90 day reporting by mail something people in BS should investigate.That's a recent innovation.

It doesn't faze me any more but I am a reasonably organised person.Many are not,or don't know the system, and create their own problems.