Hello from Wales and can I pick your brains please :)

New to Bangsaphan or already resident? Doesn't matter, this is the place for introductions!
Jo

Hello from Wales and can I pick your brains please :)

Post by Jo » 05 Nov 2013 01:56

Hi everyone, its blowing a gale, cold and wet here in Wales today - I hope you are getting nicer weather there. I'm Jo and am wanting to come to Bang Saphan / Bang Krut in November 2014 and would be very grateful for your advice.

We are a middle age ex-husband and wife pair looking to come for 3-4 days arriving 10th November from Bangkok, we are trying to decide where to stay - Bang Saphan or Bang Krut. We like clean beaches and sea swimming, markets, vibrant and quiet bars (not bouncing discos or clubs lol), food, people, sightseeing, a boat trip, authentic thai massage - a bit of everything really. Koh Samui was great for us as we stayed in Cheong Mon and visited Chaweng once or twice for shopping and really enjoyed the holiday. Our budget is no more than 3000 thb per night.

We prefer a beachfront location and air conditioning is pretty important and are willing to hire a car to make sure we see everything there is to see. Where would you say is better for us BS or BK ?

Advice, hints or tips would be great

Regards
Jo :D

buksida

Re: Hello from Wales and can I pick your brains please :)

Post by buksida » 05 Nov 2013 07:23

There are pros and cons to both:

Ban Krut has a slightly better beach and more resorts but no shopping and little to do in the evening. It is primarily a Thai weekend resort place.

Bangsaphan is better suited for island trips, it has a proper town, market, and a few rustic bars and restaurants around the beach area (Suan Luang).

Fortunately neither place is anything like Koh Samui! I would stay in Bangsaphan and hire a car for a day trip to Ban Krut.

bsb

Post by bsb » 05 Nov 2013 08:28

welcome Jo...I'll tell you alot of neat stuff to do, but only if you promise not to tell others

this lovely little town is getting too damn crowded....no longer a peaceful little hideaway known by few

Jo

Post by Jo » 05 Nov 2013 20:13

Haha, Ok, I wont tell I promise :)

Thanks Buksida, Bangsaphan sounds ideal.

I read somewhere about sea dwelling creatures who dont want humans in their lovely waters and bite and sting people out of there, are they still around in November :)

Regards
Jo

buksida

Post by buksida » 06 Nov 2013 07:21

Jellyfish (if thats what you mean) are rarely a problem at this time of year since the northeasterly winds make the water choppy.

bsb

Post by bsb » 06 Nov 2013 07:36

sealice the biggest problem and their cousins sand flies

Jo

Post by Jo » 06 Nov 2013 08:22

:shock: Sealice !? Sound awful lol. Ok maybe I'll settle for sitting on a beach and stick to a pool for swimming :)

buksida

Post by buksida » 06 Nov 2013 10:58

They're harmless, tiny creatures that will give you a minor itch if bitten - a bit like sea-going mosquitoes!

Jo

Post by Jo » 06 Nov 2013 21:22

Thanks guys n gals - mozzies drive me nuts and have a good feed of me, so extra repellent for the sea too :)

bsb

Post by bsb » 07 Nov 2013 09:54

harmless tiny creatures reminds me of what the doctor told me the first case of thai crabs I had

Jo

Post by Jo » 07 Nov 2013 20:23

Ok, thats put my imagination in overdrive :)