Open water swimming Ban krut / Bangsaphan

Discussion on accommodation, restaurants, and attractions in neighbouring Ban Krut.
SPONSORS: Ban Krut Info
swimmer11

Open water swimming Ban krut / Bangsaphan

Post by swimmer11 » 31 Jul 2011 21:16

Hi!
I’m new on the forum and know next to nothing about Ban Krut/ Bangsaphan and allow me a question to the expat community who has local knowledge. I’m soon going to Ban Krut and I like open water swimming. How is Ban Krut Beach for ocean swimming, i.e. swimming for an hour or two for training? Information found on some travel guide websites tells about periods with large amount of Jellyfish. Is this only rumor or are Jellyfish generally a problem in Ban Krut / Bangsaphan?
Thank you. :)

buksida

Re: Open water swimming Ban krut / Bangsaphan

Post by buksida » 01 Aug 2011 13:41

Ban Krut beach is fine for swimming, yes there are jellies at certain times of the year, usually from Jan - April. Take a look at the beach first, if you see any washed up it would be advisable to wear a full length wetsuit if you want to swim.

swimmer11

Post by swimmer11 » 01 Aug 2011 19:47

Thank you buksida, will bring with a lycra suit.

swimmer11

Post by swimmer11 » 08 Aug 2011 07:41

3 days with swimming and not seen any Jellyfish. However a lot of pricking / stings all over the body from what I really don’t know what are. Have however heard someone call it sea lice!
BTW, an amazing place you have in Bang Saphan / Ban Krut. Hope it last forever.

buksida

Post by buksida » 08 Aug 2011 08:27

Yes, these are sea lice, a bit like aquatic mozzies - harmless but irritating! Spotted the odd jelly on the beach recently as the weather has been good and the ocean calm.